Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spooktacular Pitch #49: SALT

Background came from this design.


Title: SALT
Genre: YA Supernatural
Word Count: 81,000

Three Line Pitch:

Seventeen-year-old Penelope Grey is trying to prove she's worthy of being an Enforcer, the witch world's version of a demon-killing, badass SWAT team. The only thing standing in her way is her inability to do magic—and that's sort of a requirement for being an Enforcer. So when she meets Carter Trent and her powers return to normal, her dream of being an Enforcer could be a reality, unless the secret that connects her and Carter gets her killed first.


First 250 words:

Gran always told us not to leave home without salt in our pocket.

“You never know,” she used to say while we licked batter from spoons, “when a demon will attack and you need to be prepared.”

Pop would call her ‘sweet lips’ and remind her we were kids, much like he did when Connie and I stole cookies before dinner. Mom and Dad would reassure her that we were safe then take us home where bedtime was the biggest worry.

But that was before my parents died. Since then Gran reminds me about having salt every time I mention going outside. Her warning plays on loop in my head. I always bring it with me.

Except for today, apparently.

And the demon chasing me is going to love that.

I run, but there’s only so much I can do. Especially without salt or iron and no one in my family to even spark up my powers. Plus, I wasn’t paying attention and led it down an alley. The walls are narrow, only about seven feet across, so there’s no way I can maneuver around him. Demons are too fast. There has to be a way out at the end. Maybe I can sneak past him to the other side.

I pick up speed, leading him away from the street and deeper into the alley. Wait, this is wrong.

There is a brick wall blocking the exit. You’ve got to be kidding. A dead end. My end. My death. Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment