Friday, October 23, 2015

Pitch Slam Entry 9: Love Spell, NA Romance






Title: Love Spell

Genre: New Adult Romance

Word Count: 50,000


Hogwarts House: My main character would be Gryffindor because she’s loyal and brave at heart.



Pitch: Twenty-year-old Tabitha Foster’s Selection Ceremony divines enigmatic Hunter Black as her true love. He must fall in love within a year or she’ll lose her magic forever. PRACTICAL MAGIC meets WITCHES OF EAST END.


First 250:

Oma lit the remaining candles in the room, including the black flame candle. The inky flame danced, rebelling against stillness of the air. Oma had covered most of her Victorian house in dark cloths and shadowy colored lace. If my whole life wasn’t about to change, I would almost enjoy the ambiance.

"Tonight is the night, Tabitha," Oma said ominously. "It's the beginning of the rest of your life." She tucked her long silver hair into her scarf and flashed me an affectionate smile. Since I was little, she'd always said things like that, just a little too dramatic and with ample thrashing of her arms, her many rings on her fingers clanking. We were all witches, but none of us were as dramatic as Oma.

I stared down at my lap; my hands were trembling.

This was it.

Tonight, after twenty years, I would learn the identity of my true love. And I would have exactly one year to win his heart or suffer the terrible consequences. I tried not to think about it but lately, it was the only thing occupying my mind.

My sisters had been so calm, so confident during their Flamma ceremony. Why did I feel so scared? They'd been through the Selection. All of them, except for Esmeralda. She still had a few more years.

Aunt Griselda took her seat at the table and ran her long, bony fingers across the velvet wine-colored tablecloth. "Are we ready? It's time. I can feel it.”





Team Slytherin  Points and Spells

5 comments: