Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Do's and Don'ts Of Marketing


I'm sure you're wondering why I'm writing this post. Well, let me explain. Even though I haven't had my book published or published it myself, I am already marketing myself as an author as I type this post. Putting myself out here to the world is marketing. There are rules for marketing ones self or product, and I am sure we know some of the big ones like not putting something out there while angry that you'd want to take back later. That is a big no-no.

So, why am I writing this post? Well, I was talking with a friend today and we were discussing how people market themselves and their products/business every day. While talking about this, I brought up a game that I used to play who's owner's marketing schemes have ruined their business. That is what created the idea for this post. So, lets begin the do's and don'ts of marketing.

Do get your name out there.
It's a great move to make. Get out there and meet people. Getting your name in the public's mind will help tons when marketing your product or book. If they don't know your name, then they won't know to look for you or your book.

Don't assume anything.
Ah, assumptions. The biggest trap of all. If you open a twitter account and just post a tweet like: "Hi. I'm Jim and I write." Don't assume that will get tons of follows or have people looking for you. Sure, you'll get those totally hot chicks who just are dying to be with you, but you won't get what you assume you'll be getting. After all, we all know what they say about assuming.

Do use social networking to your advantage.
Social networking is a great way to get your name, product, and book out there. By using things like twitter, facebook, google+, and so on, you will/can connect to your target audience and reach farther than you could by just word of mouth. So use those social networks to your advantage.

Don't abuse your social network.
We all hate that person who friends us or follows us and when we gladly follow back or accept the request, spams us with links to their awesome new book or product. If you're this person, STOP! It's only pushing away the people who might buy your product/book. By annoying your social network, you ruin everything else that you've done to get your name out there. So, before you DM that link to your new book, think twice.

Do be a normal person.
Talk to people. Even if it's just over a social network. If you show people the real you, then they won't mind the occasional link being tweeted or posted. I've actually been told this, so trust me. If you have normal chats with your tweeps, they won't mind repeated tweets about that really cool contest you're running. In fact, they'll help spread the word. So, remember to just be you first. People will like and respond much better if you do.

Don't say something out of anger that you'll regret later.
We've all been there. Someone's said something that hurt your feelings so you lash out. Being angry or upset is natural and fine. Spewing angry words all over the Internet or T.V. isn't. Okay, it is. But it's not a smart move. So when the anger strikes, let it out. Just not in a public way. Many people's career's have been ruined by not following this advice and you don't want to follow in their footsteps.

Do listen to advice.
Believe it or not, but customers do have great opinions. Not all, but some really can help with your next project. So, listen to your customers about what they liked or didn't like about your first book and carry that info into your next project. It will help make it better.

Don't be desperate.
If you spam your customers with buy my site's special currency or buy my book now on every page when they go to your site, then stop. It's annoying and people will not want to visit your site and you might lose very important business. The thing you should realize is, that by doing this you're saying, "I'm desperate! I really need the money! It's all about the money!" That is NOT the thing you want your customers to think about you.

The thing I'm trying to get at here is that there are right ways and wrong ways to market ones self or product. One wrong turn can ruin every right turn you made. So, think about what draws you to your favorite authors and products and pay attention to how they market themselves. And don't go down the road of regrets by making that wrong turn.

Until next time, happy reading/writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment